Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Olympic Moment



Read this article on Yahoo! about Samia Yusuf Omar of Somalia. I find it so moving. Mixed emotions. Happy because she was able to represent her country and take part in the Olympics. Sad because conditions in some countries like Somalia are . Angry because the world may seem so unfair. The have's have it all while the have not's are left with nothing. Hope, just because there is always hope.

I'm so proud of her accomplishments and her drive to be better. The Olympic spirit so to speak. In my opinion, she deserves a gold medal with her flag raised and anthem played. Not because she won in her sporting event, but because she rose above her conditions and fought when everything was going against her.

There were only two athletes from Somalia. Samia and his team mate Abdi Said Ibrahim. He too is worthy of such recognition.

Read the article and be deeply moved.

“I was happy the people were cheering and encouraging me,” she said. “But I would have liked to be cheered because I won, not because I needed encouragement. It is something I will work on. I will try my best not to be the last person next time. It was very nice for people to give me that encouragement, but I would prefer the winning cheer. - Samia


I don't want to feel any pity for her. She doesn't need it.

No comments: