Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween at Simi Valley

I joined my nephew out for trick or treating today. Was able to get a feel of the Americana culture of this holiday. My nephew is 7 years old. He's falls on the lower bracket of the Halloween franchise, so the trick or treating is G rated. It didn't last long. I joined them, along with the other parents, go to around just a block of houses. After that, everyone went back to the 'host's' house where the adults socialized drank some alcohol and ate some chili while the kids played with each other in one of the rooms there.

My cousin introduced me to the folks there and they were very accommodating. They don't get a lot of Asian visitors around that predominantly white neighborhood. It's funny how one of them remarked how good my English was. Just goes to show how less she knows about Filipinos. There was another lady who figured out that I was Filipino, because of how I speak. Her sister in law is a Filipina and she can only say nice things of her. And there was this guy too who was embarrassed to tell me that he hasn't traveled as far over to the east.

I remember this book about the 10 Things you can do to help the Philippines and one of the things there was to speak highly of our country to other nationalities. I'm a proud Filipino and the world should know that people from our country are well educated and good natured. I'm glad I did my motherland proud a while ago.

No comments: